Monday, April 27, 2009

April 10-11 ~ Travel to Manzanillo & First WakeUp

I'd been woken by my lil beeping alarm clock. No one else would have been getting me up at 2am! I'd wanted time to do my meditation and yoga, to be as centered as I could be for my 7am airplane takeoff. I had leisurely time to finalize my packing and arrived at the airport with comfortable time.

My hubby & I toured the new Medford International Airport, poking and inspecting displays. We took the hint when the guard came over asking what we were doing. Ok, it was time for me to go thru Security. A difficult g'bye, but adventure on the other side. I ran into a woman, long time friend of a mutual artist friend and I pocked a note to deliver when I got back home. I could see the Universe already at work on this trip.

Usual things on plane rides, drinks, peanuts, etc. and wait for my plane change in L.A. went quickly as I bought some more Pecos for my stay in Mexico.

The flight to Manzanillo had an excited energy about it. Lots of people en route to vacation or family reunions (remember, this is Mexico's Holy Week too). The young Mexican mother behind me, with her young child, was crying and an American woman consoled her that the flight was easy and the Manzanillo Airport small and simple to traverse. She quieted down. The lil live-wire sitting next to me was another story. Stu, a spunky, say, 11-yr-old with bright yellow bleached hair topping his brown hair, talked almost endlessly. He was going on Spring Vacation with his family and was so jazzed. In response to his mild, but consistent hint, wanting to sit in my window seat, I gave in. He relished that for awhile - til his Dad, now next to me, put in a movie on his computer. Then, Stu wanted his original seat back. And on and on - I was entertained until our landing in Manzanillo.

Airport routine moved along rather quickly, and although I had hit the random button, with the signal coming up "RED" (which means they search your luggage), it went smoothly and I was moved into a taxi. The air conditioning method in many a Mexican Taxi is "open windows" and as I was buffeted by the warm wind, I realized the lil kitchen timer I'd brought with me (to help me not loose track of teaching periods) had gotten moved out of it's protective position in my luggage. And it was going off every few seconds, "beep, beep, beep" all the drive into Club Santiago, a 20-30 minute drive. I smiled.

I got all settled into the open, sunny Condo. Trotted down the street to the nearby market to get some water and breakfast food and settled in for the night. I spent much of the evening setting up the condo for the Retreat. I moved some overstuffed chairs to make a cozy gathering place in the living room. And to my delight, discovered a presentation easel in the Guest Bedroom that I could use for a drawing & presentation easel. It was late when I got to bed after talking with Roland to let him know I'd arrived safe.

I'd experienced a sampling of Mexican holidays last year when we were here. And since this very weekend is the high point (Easter) of the Mexican Holy Week, I wasn't at all surprised to hear the festivities going on late into the night. Around 5am people began getting into their cars and heading home.

So, it was a brief nights sleep, but I'd planned to get up early anyway, to check out the sunrise and temperature on the rooftop for our planned Morning Yoga. I peeked my head out the sliding patio doors, only to see this magnificent day break sight, the moon, full in it's golden orb, glowing over the night lite brilliant yellow condos across from me. I loved the pinks and reds posing as shadow edges and the tinge of orange and green around the moon. I had to grab the camera to capture it (I sure wasn't going to get a sketch done before the sun came up!).

So here I am, awake for my first full day in Mexico setting up for the Women's Retreat! I'm fresh, invigorated (not from sleep tho) and off on my adventure. Stay tuned for the next entry . . .